Saint Regulus (or Saint Rule) was a monk who, legend has it, sailed from Greece to Scotland on instruction from an angel who told him to head north-west towards the ‘ends of the earth’. In his possession were the relics of St Andrew the apostle. Regulus was shipwrecked at Kilrymont in north-east Fife, welcomed by a Pictish king, and proceeded to found a church to house the relics (St Rule’s Tower, part of a pre-Norman church within the grounds of the cathedral, stands to this day). The town of St Andrews was born. St Regulus Hall, which bears his name, was originally built in 1880’s as a hotel (not the most reputable sort, if urban legends are to be believed!), and was extended in the 1950’s after being acquired by the University, while maintaining its traditional charm. Originally male-only, it is now a mixed hall and home to around 175 undergraduates. The hall crest features representations of the bones of St Andrew as well as the tower and boat of St Rule, and the hall colours are red and black.
The Crest of St Regulus Hall also references the legend of St Regulus; including the ship he sailed to St Andrews in, the bones of St Andrew he brought with him, and St Rule’s (St Regulus) tower. It also features the red lion on the University of St Andrews’ own crest. The crest was updated in April 2020 to improve the image quality. The Hall Colours are red and black, matching the crest.